Friday, May 21, 2010

Tutorial ~Sew Stylish Pincushion~

A few weeks ago, I was invited to do a guest post for Disney at Ruffles and Stuff. I will post the Pincushion tutorial today, just in case you missed it. Enjoy!

For the longest time, I have been wanting to buy a pincushion for my wrist. Everytime when I am working on a project, I would think "it would be so convenient to have one on my wrist, instead of just having one on the table top. Sometimes I forget where I put it, or it would get in my way when I am cutting or sewing.

Then, when I am at the store, I look at wrist pincushions and think, "these are not pretty... I don't want to spend my money on these." I always end up not buying them. Well, I finally decided to make my own. It turned out to be a very easy project. I will show you how I did it, so you too can sew with stlye!


{You will need}



A silk flower (about 3"diameter)

5" diameter fabric for pincushion

2" diameter chip board (I used a cereal box)

Fabric for the wrist band part

Fusible fleece

Velcro

Stuffing

Glue gun

{How to}

1. Measure your wrist. For example, my wrist is 6", I added 1 1/2" for over wrap(so I can put in velco) and 1/2" for seam allowance.
Therefore, I cut the fabric to 3 1/2" x 8". For fusible fleece, cut 1 1/2" X 7 1/2".

2. Iron the fusible fleece onto the wrong side of the fabric. Place it so there is1/4" seam allowance on three sides.


3. Put right sides together and fold it in half. Leaving a 3" opening in the middle, sew three sides. Cut the corners off.


4. Turn the fabric inside out. Sew around the edges and sew velcro to both ends.


5. Sew silk flower in the middle of the band.

6. To make the pincushion, hand sew all around the 5" diameter circle. Pull the thread to gather the fabric.


7. Stuff it fullly, put the chip board in at last and sew closed.


8. Glue the pincushion onto the middle of the silk flower.


That's it! Isn't it simple to do? It is so much more fun to surround myself with pretty things when I sew... especially my wrist!

I got carried away and made some more... I just LOVE thinking about all the fabric and color combinations! That is way I made several different ones.


and probably, this is my most favorite...


Which one do you like the most? What is your style?

38 comments :

  1. They are all so beautiful. My favorite is the last one with the tiny pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love them all, really can't choose. Depends on my mood. I wish I knew more peole who sewed, they would make terrific gifts.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable, I needed one of those today on a project I was working on at church. I had to keep on stepping down off the ladder to reach some pins, a wrist pincushion would have been the perfect solution! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, how pretty! Love this and thank you for the tutorial. Something I will have to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful! what a clever girl you are - I love the idea of using the flower leaves under it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last one is amazing. I can't wait to try one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! These are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW SO clever and SO pretty!! I too always loose my pincushions when I am behind the machine, so I end up pinning them to my jeans lol. And THEN I forget about that too duh. I HAVE to make me one (or two or three)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very clever! Definitely the linen and lace one for me, understated and beautiful! Best wishes Betty from England x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in love. What a beautiful thing. And who wouldn't love to have one more excuse to sew?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the one with the pearls, it's so cute! Personally, I would make a Halloween themed one with a black rose as a flower. I just LOVE Halloween so it's a no-brainer for me. Well done, it's a superb idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are all so sweet ~ I love soft colors so the last is my favorite ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are just too darn smart. I love what you have done here very very very cute. Thanks for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. I may need to make a few of these for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it Sashiko -- so glad I'm following you; you're such an inspiration!
    Jude from Cape Cod
    www.dolcecapecod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tute. I would like to use one of these...when I'm on a sewing roll, I hate having to get up to find the pincushion...well, I don't even have a pin cushion, it's one of those magnetic things....what's a sewer without a proper pincushion???

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also vote for the last one, THE favorite. Love them, thanks for the idea! :D I once made one in the shape of a watch :D
    smiles,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love them all, but I'd have to agree the last one is my favorite. I have this tutorial bookmarked to do when I have a bit of extra time. Thanks for the lovely ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for great tutorial :) I was inspired by it so I made my own pincushion in my own style :)
    You can check it if you want :)
    http://blessedflwr.blogspot.com/2010/05/stylish-pincushion.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are gorgeous! I know a few people who would love one of these! I'll have to give them a go as presents! Thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wanted to let you know I just gave you an award! http://www.lifelovegreen.com/2010/05/my-first-and-second-blog-award/#content

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sachiko; I make mine exactley the same way as you do. They are excellent and sit on your wrist extremely well. Once you've got one; you can't live without it...lol.
    I'm hosting an 'Early Bird Christmas Crafting' program from next week; may I do a post and a link back on your tutorial for it? They are great gifts for Christmas.
    Thanks heaps.
    Judith from Australia
    http://creativestudio10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a sweet idea. I love the fabric choices and how easy you've made it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is great!! so pretty! and am sure very practical!! I´ll try to make mine soon, hope it turns as cute as this are!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That really is a fun and cute pincushion.. :) Awe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. that is the most gorgeous pin cushion I have ever seen in my life. period.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh! I love the linen one. So cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just tried this out and I love it. It is beautiful and functional.

    I linked to you here:

    deliacreates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fabulous and simple project - I am putting it on my advent swap list of things to make, might even make a few for thebirthday box.

    TFS

    I also love the last one, lace will do it for me everytime.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have given us a brilliant idea. I love your creativity. Thank you very much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are so beautiful!!
    A wrist pincushion is such a handy thing to have around when you're sewing.
    Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have just finished making some wrist pincushions and I wish I had found your tutorial first. These pincushions are beautiful. I particularly like the last one with the pearls.
    I have posted a link to your blog on my blog, I hope that is ok. Please let me know if it isn't. I wont post on my blog until Friday.
    www.Suth2.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wish there was an even better word than gorgous! :D Your fave is stunning! *head spins with ideas*

    Best regards from Eva Mari in Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. c'est vraiment adorable et sympa ,
    bisous , bon a- midi,
    frifricreations.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks so much for the tutorial and especially for the inspiring design ideas! I agree, the wrist pincushions at the store are expensive and very plain. I love these! I'm making one right now for myself and my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just made one of your pin cushions...but not for my wrist...for my Ott lamp which sits next to my sewing machine. So since it was for my lamp, I made the band thinner & attached a length of ribbon so I could tie it. I also poked a sm hole in the center of the card board and then used embroidery floss to sew the cushion into 8 sections & put decoration in the center. Thanks so much for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin