Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tutorial ~ Square in Square Quilt ~


If you have been reading my blog for a long time, you might remember this picture and the post...


I went back and checked the date, and it was posted on November 4th 2009! Oh…my…gosh…, it was such a long time ago. The post was a sneak preview for the quilt I was working on and I meant to post the finished quilt soon. I am so sorry that you guys had to wait for over a year!!

The problem was I just could not decide how I wanted to finish the quilt. I pieced the quilt top right away and while I was busy working on other things, I kept thinking about what to do.

It's been so long, but I put together a quick tutorial for this quilt. I hope you will enjoy it. :)

Finished size 27" X 30" (it is constructed with 90 3"X3" squares)

{You will need}



I used Honey Buns from Moda, but you can make your own 1 1/2" wide strips by the width of the fabric and use them instead. I also used 6 strips for another project first, so I had 36 strips to make this quilt.

{How to}

1. Sort them and group by color.


2. From light color fabrics cut 90 pieces of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" squares.


From darker color strips cut;



90 pieces of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" squares
90 pieces of 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" rectangles
180 pieces of 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" rectangles

My Honey Buns had three main colors: pink, green, and blue. Since I made this quilt with 90 blocks, I made 30 pink blocks, 30 green blocks, and 30 blue blocks. When you are making this from scratch, this will make it easier to pick out the fabrics. You only need four different color schemes, one light, three darks.

3. Piece them together to make blocks. Use the pictures as a guide. Don't forget to press the seam after each step. It will make quite a difference on the finished quilt.








4. Lay all the blocks to see how you want to piece them. Then, piece the blocks side by side first.


5. Then, piece all the strips row by row.


It took me over a year to decide how I wanted to finish the quilt...Here is how I did it. Since I made this for Rachel's room, I appliqued her initial "R" and added small pom-poms around the edge. You will be proud of me (little squeak!) I machine quilted this myself!


Rachel was so excited to see the quilt finished and hanging in her room. It took me long enough, but it's finally finished! :)

27 comments :

  1. An absolutely beautiful quilt, I think you finished it remarkably with those little pompoms and the applique..very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muchas gracias!!!!
    Se ve fácil.
    Besos desde Tenerife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoy what you do :)
    As for me, I'm struggling hard, as you can see in my latest post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...it's beautiful! Grand job :))
    Lovely colours and good idea with the "R"! Looks perfect!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Regards from Oslo :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it was well worth the time it took, it is so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a huge project, i can see why it took a long time, but so worth it because just look at it ~ so lovely !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just beautiful, and ty for the block tut :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the R & the pom-poms. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I definitely want to try it. My problem is three little ones getting into the squares all laid out!

    Flannery @ threesisterz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I love the colors and the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this quilt is so beautiful! I just finished a quilt for my granddaughter; can I ask how you did that monogram? Love the moda fabric you used!!
    Desi

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous! I love the simplicity of the pattern and your colors are so perfect for a little girl. I can't believe you quilted it yourself!!!! I am so impressed. I love to piece but the only quilting I've done is stitch-in-the ditch or meandering designs. Your quilt looks like it was long-arm quilted! Definitely an heirloom for Rachel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! I've always wondered how you turn those jelly rolls into quilts. Now I know and it came out just lovely! Thanks for the tips and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quilt is so wonderful! Really, it's a great work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful job..it looks great! Wish we could see the quilting detail better. It's super cute...and so sophisticated with a 'monogram'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful! thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the way this turned out--the "R" makes it so very special!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Desi-

    I used interfacing for the back of the white fabric, so it won't fray. I already had an "R" decoration in my daughter's room, so I just traced that onto the fabric. Then Zig-zag stitched around it. There are many other ways to do applique, you can do whatever you are comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maravilhoso, is very beautful!!!Fiquei encantada, vou ficar aqui e aprender um pouco com seu blog, venha me visitar soniareginapinturaemtecidos.blogspot.com, beijos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! Wish I knew how to sew, let alone quilt. I awarded you a stylish blogger award today on my blog, just wanted to let you know :)
    www.luvumomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. How gorgeous your quilt with such soft country cottage charm !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, how are you? I loved your visit in my blog, your works are wonderful and took his tutorial SQUARE, one day I want to make one for me, when I do come to show you. You have one week of bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This would be a great quilt to use all my Moda scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just LOVE this quilt and the colors are so sweet, I realy want this one RIGHT NOW LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin