Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dollar Store Project / Eyeglass Case to Sewing Kit Case

I picked up an eyeglass case at the dollar store the other day with the intention of making this sewing kit case for my niece who started to show interest in sewing. I thought she would like something like this to carry around. :)

Because the eyeglass case you can find might be different size and all, I am not going to give measurements and such. This is a brief how-to-post.

{You will need}

Eyeglass case
Fabric of your choice for outside and inside the case
Mod Podge
Sponge Brush
Ribbon to hide the hinge area
Fabric glue (or glue gun)

{How to}

1. Cut fabric for the inside and outside of the case. For outer fabric, make sure that you have enough to cover the whole thing and tuck inside the case. For inner fabric, cut the edges with pinking shears to prevent fraying.

2. It is helpful to use a small dish and such to trace the curve and cut the corners.
Also, fold the fabric horizontally in the middle, cut into about an inch or so from both sides to make it easier to hold the fabric in around the hinges.

3. Spread the mod podge onto the case evenly and carefully place the fabric. Make sure there are no air bubbles. Then attach the inner fabric in the same manner too.


4. I pasted small ribbons around the hinges area to hide the "ugly" part that I couldn't get quite right. If you don't need it, you can skip this part.

5. Make a small pincushion. All you need to do is measure the inside of the case and decide how big you want the pincushion to be. Don't forget to add an inch or so to the measurement, when you stuff it, the length and width will "shrink" (because it gets puffy). Glue the pincushion inside of the case.


That's how I made this sewing kit case.

Do you wanna see the inside?

I didn't have any plan when I was making this. I just went with the flow. If I am going to make this again, I think I will try to pay more close attention to the hinge area. You don't want fabric to get bulged up around that area, because the case won't close all the way. I had to redo it a couple times. Keep that in mind, but it is a fairly fun and easy project, not to mention very cheap too! :)

31 comments :

  1. Very cute idea! Love the project- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable project! These would make wonderful stocking stuffers. Sharing on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea and gorgeous fabric !!!
    Love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like this! I probably would use it to store knitting notions in my knitting bag. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Most glasses wearers have old cases that they could jazz up. Making pressies from your stash is not only budget friendly, but good for the environment too.
    I'm going to share this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. super darling - & I LOVE the fabric you used for it...cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I have 2 or 3 old cases around from out of date pairs of glasses. I also think they would make good pencil/pen cases for my sketch kit(s).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea - thanks for sharing it. You're too clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Want it for me and going to make one. Great idea to tuck in the purse and be ready for any sewing emergency. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a perfect idea!!! I have several eye glass cases laying around... Sure glad that I didn't toss them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is just fantastic with so many lovely ideas.
    I am now following along and I look forward to future visits :)
    Happy weekend!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cute!! love the fabric choice and a nice way to upcycle--we who get glasses every year or two have some of these cases just waiting for a good idea. I think I'll add in a couple little elastic bits to hold scissors and such.
    Thanks!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. i saw this on Pinterest and loved it right away.
    i find this a great idea to use as a small beauty/accessories travel kit with cotton swabs, cotton balls, small earrings...[i can't sew for the life of me!]

    ReplyDelete
  14. c'est une super bonne idée !!! merci pour le tuto !!! j'adore, bisous de France

    ReplyDelete
  15. c'est une superidée, merci pour le tuto, j'adore !!!
    bisous de France

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! Wonderful gift, even for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely brilliant idea! I love it - perfect for the travelling needlewoman! Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How about gluing a magnet in the lid to hold your needles and scissors. I loved this idea. Who does not have a ton of these laying around?

    ReplyDelete
  19. So clever and thank you for sharing your wonderful idea. The minute I saw this I went to my husband's clothing draw to find a case. Did you realize that you posted this idea on 12/12/12???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this. I'm going to make this for my secret Santa this year.. One for the office drawer would be useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great ideas from every one I can't wait to make one.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this idea! Brilliant job, thanks for sharing!
    x0x
    Peach

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous idea to cover the old cases

    ReplyDelete
  24. Seeing is believing What a gift! Thank you for your simple and blessed example of creativity. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would add an elastic in the lid to hold the scissors and a maybe a felt needle book if room allows. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun and practical idea! Can't wait to one or two for my purse and for traveling. This would make a great kit for traveling with pencils and mini art supplies.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin